Inclement Weather Alert Information
Recorded Weather Line:
301-619-7611 or 1-800-256-7621
Hearing Impaired: 301-619-2293
When inclement weather is predicted for our area, the following information will address questions on Fort Detrick's operating hours. An announcement will be posted on the Homepage, http://www.detrick.army.mil, near the top of the page. Announcements are made only if there is a change to the operating hours.
- Decisions on delayed openings or closings are usually made by 0400 (4 a.m.)
- When the post has a delayed opening, visit the Fort Detrick website at http://www.detrick.army.mil or call the Weather Lines before leaving home to learn if the operating hours have changed since it was originally announced. There are times when a delay is initially announced but continuing weather conditions require the post to enact an additional delay or close.
- Changes are posted on the Fort Detrick website and recorded Weather Lines in as timely a manner as possible. If there is no change to the operating hours, the Weather Line message will say, "This line will be updated when there a change to the Installation's operating hours." The website and phone lines are your best sources of information regarding delays or closures.
- Local radio stations are not notified, per their request, if the operating hours of the post do not change.
- Employees who cannot make it to work because of inclement weather, should call their supervisor and request unscheduled leave. A liberal leave policy is always in effect in the event of severe weather.
Fort Detrick has an alert radio system that broadcasts 24 hours a day on AM 1610. In the event of an emergency on post, please tune to this radio station to hear important information and instructions.
Radio announcements include inclement weather, community activities on post, and notifications.
The alert radio system is another source of information and, in an emergency, may be your best option.
The following radio/television stations will be notified if Fort Detrick changes it operating hours.
WCAO AM 600
WHGT AM 1590
Charles Town, WV
WMRE AM 1050
WTOP AM 820
WGET AM 1320
WWMD FM 101.5
WARK AM 1490
WEPM AM 1340
WSRT FM 92.1
WTHU AM 1450
WTWP AM 1500
WCBG AM 1380
WCRH FM 90.5
The CHART Web Mapping interface allows users to view current traffic and emergency road conditions from across the state. There are several links to choose from: Snow Emergency Plans, Weather Related Road Closures, School Closures, Area-wide Road Conditions.