The temperature is dropping, leaves are falling and winter weather will soon be here.
The U.S. Army Garrison at Fort Detrick maintains several efforts in preparation for winter weather, including: emergency planning, strategic communications, snow plan development and execution, plowing, salting... and the list goes on and on.
After a snow event, when people arrive at work, they see plowed parking lots and salted sidewalks. They may not see all of the man hours spent taking care of critical areas of responsibility; making the roads and grounds passable and safe.
The Directorate of Public Works is at the helm of all things “snow removal.” The DPW, when developing the Snow and Ice Plan, works closely with several installation directorates to come up with the best possible solutions to issues that arise with snow and ice events.
Below is a portion of the 2015 Snow and Ice Plan. This will answer questions on where, why and when certain buildings and sidewalks are positioned in the snow-removal process.
- During a predicted snow or ice event, the DPW roads and grounds crew will advise the Fort Detrick installation commander and the Fort Detrick U.S. Army Garrison commander on whether or not to delay arrival or close the post.
- The final authority to delay or close post lies with the installation commander. Once he makes a decision, the Public Affairs Office will inform local media outlets of installation status, as well as update social media accounts, the Fort Detrick Weather Line and the Fort Detrick Homepage.
- The Directorate of Plans, Training, Mobilization and Security will update the AtHoc system. If you are not signed up to receive those alerts, you can sign up by contacting the U.S. Army Garrison emergency manager at (301) 619-3366.
- The DPW crews work tirelessly until roads and grounds are safe and passable, beginning with primary roads and reimbursable primary roads followed by secondary roads and lots including reimbursables such as the National Cancer Institute and housing.
Where to find Fort Detrick’s Current Operating Status:
- Fort Detrick Webpage: www.detrick.army.mil
- Weather Hotline: (301) 619-7611 or (800) 256-7621
- AtHoc: Sign up to receive text alerts on your cell phone. For more information about how to sign up, please contact the U.S. Army Garrison Emergency Manager at (301) 619-3366
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/DetrickUSAG or www.facebook.com/ForestGlenAnnex
- Twitter: @DetrickUSAG or @ForestGlenAnnex
- TV/Radio Stations: Check your local stations for updates to the operating status of Fort Detrick.