Responsible Detrick
Historical Preservation — Nallin Farm

History

  • Originally included in a 7,000-acre tract of land owned by Mr. Benjamin Tasker (called Tasker's Chance), Nallin Farm eventually became a 250-acre parcel of land owned by Mrs. Alice Nallin in 1932.
  • Nine acres of land currently comprised the Nallin Farm area including five buildings constructed between 1780 and 1940.
  • Three of the Nallin Farm buildings (the Spring House, Main House and Bank Barn) are currently listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Buildings

Spring House

  • Built around 1780.
  • Refurbished in 1985 (new roof)
  • Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • Stone and wood construction
  • Built over a spring and used prior to the days of refrigeration to keep food cool. Milk, butter, and eggs would be stored in jars or crocks inside troughs where spring water would keep them cool.

Bank Barn

  • Built around 1780
  • Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • Stone and timber construction
  • Pennsylvania-German bank barn - an American adaptation of barns built in the high valleys of Switzerland first built in the sixteenth century
  • One side of a bank barn is usually built into the bank of a hill, allowing easy access into the barn's second level or "mow"
  • Bank barn design allows for storage of grains and hay in the mow and housing of livestock in stables below
  • The projecting fore bay on the backside of the barn shelters the lower stable doorways from weather.
  • Vertical slots in the stone walls of the barn are for ventilation.

Dairy Barn

  • Built around 1930
  • Concrete block walls and silo, metal roof and wood siding
  • Concrete floor in the stable area used for milking dairy cows; the mow provided storage for hay
  • A dairy house extends from the east side of the barn and was used for processing milk

Garage

  • Built in 1920 of a stone foundation, brick walls and a metal roof

Main House

  • Built around 1830
  • Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
  • Stone foundation, brick walls and metal roof
  • Federal-style architecture
  • Two-and-a-half stories; L-shaped floor plan; four bedrooms
  • The transition from a log structure on this property to the current house reflects prosperity derived from the agricultural business

Tenant House *

  • Built around 1950
  • Wood frame building on a stone foundation with metal roof
  • Two-stories; two bedrooms

* Loss of historic integrity due to modifications

Timeline

1727 — Nallin farm is part of 7,000 acres called Tasker's Chance.

1735 — Frederick City is chartered.

1748 — Frederick County is created.

1780 — Spring House and Bank Barn are built.

1799 — 250 acres of land that would become Nallin Farm is created.

1830 — Nallin Farm House is built.

1917 — Mrs. Alice Nallin and her husband begin to live on the farm.

1920 — Garage is built.

1930 — Dairy Barn is built.

1932 — The Nallin's purchase this farm from Alice Nallin's siblings.

1952 — Army purchases Nallin Farm.

Site Helpers

FAQ

Sustainable Detrick

Fort Detrick is:

- Relevant...
A national asset, proudly protecting the nation and supporting the local economy

- Respectful...
People Count... customers and employees working together for service excellence

- Responsible...
Conserving resources, a recognized steward of the environment

- Ready...
Sustainable planning, preparing for tomorrow's challenges

Fort Detrick, Maryland
A Sustainable Community of Excellence

Online Resources

Army Community Service

Army Substance Abuse Program

Comprehensive Solider Fitness

Customer Service

Fort Detrick Chaplain

Suicide Awareness

Customer Evaluation:

ICE Logo