Restoration Advisory Board (RAB)
Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Fort Detrick
Restoration Advisory Board Meeting
16 February 2000

  1. The meeting was convened at 7:35 p.m., Wednesday, February 16, 2000 in Conference Room Three of the Goodloe E. Byron Building, Building 810, at Fort Detrick.

  2. Attendance:

    Members Present:

    Col. James Greenwood, U.S. Army Garrison, Fort Detrick
    Lt.Col. Jeffery Springer, P.E. Chief, Environment and Integrated Planning, Fort Detrick (Installation Co-Chair)
    Ms. Helen Miller-Scott, Community Member
    Mr. Thomas Meyer, Project Manager, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District (USACE) Member
    Ms. Linda Robinson, Community Member
    Mr. Gerald P. Toomey, Community Co-chair
    Craig Toussaint, Ph.D., Community Member
    Mr. Douglas Scarborough, U.S. Army Environmental Center, Member
    Mr. Thomas Wade, Community Member

    Also Present:

    Mr. Dennis Orenshaw, Project Officer, USEPA
    Dr. Henry Erbes, Ph.D., USAG
    Mr. Chuck Dasey, PAO, Fort Detrick
    Mr. John Fairbank, Maryland State Department of the Environment (MDE)
    Ms. Kim Gross, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District (USACE)
    Mr. David Iseri, IT Corporation
    Ms. Lisa Martinek, USA Center for Health Public Policy Management (CHPPM )
    Ms. Sandy Martinez, Fulton Communications
    Mr. Larry Poole, Dames & Moore

    Members Absent:

    Mr. Larry Bohn, Frederick County Department of Health
    Charles Billups, Ph.D., Community Member
    Mr. Michael Gresalfi, Community Member
    Mr. Paul Offutt, Frederick County Health Department
    Stewart Taylor, Ph.D., P.E., Community Member
    William Effland, Ph.D., Community Member
    Mr. Douglas Warnock, Installation Restoration Manager, Fort Detrick, Member

  3. Index of December 1999 RAB Meeting

    The following is a listing of items addressed at the February 16 RAB meeting. Corresponding paragraph numbers are indicated in the right column.

    Subject/Topic Paragraph Number
    Opening and Introductions4
    Partnering Meeting Update5
    City/County Planning Meeting6
    EPA Response to GAO Report7
    Budget Breakout Areas A, B, C8
    Study Update9
    Area B Master Plan10
    Communication Plan11
    Community Co-chair12
    Action Items13
    Agenda for Next Meeting13
    Schedule Next Meeting/ Adjourn13

  4. Opening and Introductions

    Lt. Col. Springer welcomed everyone and asked that everyone introduce themselves for the benefit of the observers.

  5. Partnering Meeting.

    Lt. Col. Springer gave an update on the partnering meeting. There is a consensus among the partnering group that the highest priority action is to excavate three trenches in area B-11 that are the primary source of contamination. IT Corporation wrote an Engineering Evaluation/Cost Analysis (EE/CA) after the January meeting, and the partnership approved it during the February meeting. The partnering group moved through discussion of this concept to approval in four weeks. The goal is to have a decision document signed by the US Army Medical Command (MEDCOM) in September 00 and to begin excavation in February 2001. Area B will take priority over Areas A and C for funding. The process to clean/control ground water will also begin soon.

    Lt. Col. Springer noted that the meeting schedule for the partnership has been confirmed through July, and the August partnership meeting is tentatively scheduled to be held at Fort Detrick. The exact dates of the August meeting have not been set, but will be done so a RAB member can attend a meeting and then discuss it at the RAB meeting that month.

  6. City/County Planning Meeting.

    Mr. Iseri, Dr. Erbes and Lt. Col. Springer met with County and City Planning and Zoning officials on 7 February 2000. The city and county representatives raised a number of questions associated with the restoration action on Area B, such as:

    • Route of trucks carrying hazardous materials
    • Number of trucks during the 4-month process
    • Time of day that trucks would be on the roads
    • Scope of public awareness campaign
    • Will there be meetings with the county fire department?
    • Is there contamination of drinking water wells of nearby residents?
    • Is there any residual contamination from the old testing grid?

    Each of the questions was addressed. Each of the issues listed here would be addressed in the Health and Safety Plan.

  7. EPA Response to GAO Report.

    As requested at the December RAB meeting, Mr. Orenshaw provided background information regarding the General Accounting Office (GAO) report on potential Superfund sites (GAO/RCED-99-22, "Hazardous Waste--Information on Potential Superfund Sites," November 1998). He stated that the GAO had been tasked by Congress to prepare the report to provide long-term workload and budget information for the EPA. He said he was unable to find any reason why Fort Detrick was at the top of the list of potential NPL sites in Maryland. The sites were not listed in priority order. He that said as far as the EPA was concerned Fort Detrick environmental restoration would continue to be regulated by the Maryland Department of the Environment.

    The GAO report can be downloaded from the GAO web site. From the home page,, select "GAO Reports" then select "Fiscal 1999." Under "Browse By" select "Title," then under "Titles Beginning With:" select "H." This report should be at the top of the list of titles beginning with H.

  8. Budget Breakout for Areas A, B and C.

    Dr. Erbes explained that MEDCOM allocated $2.7 million for FY00. Area C will use $300,000 for sample work. Area A will utilize $100,000 for project management and the remaining $2.3 million is for Area B.

  9. Study Update.

    Mr. Meyer reported that the Area A schedule was revised so that it is more realistic. The Area B schedule is being developed. The perimeter well sampling has been completed, and the water treatment will move forward. Site characterization for the Trench B-11 area will be done concurrently with the removal action.

    He reported that the TCE data hot spot has moved from 57-D to 24-D in 5 months. Mr. Toomey asked if it is migrating. Mr. Wade said that the groundwater moves quickly. Mr. Toomey asked if it is a spike from a leaking drum. Mr. Meyer said that it is residual. Higher concentrations are in the deeper rock. Mr. Toomey asked if there was any preliminary data from the monitoring of citizen's wells. Mr. Meyer said there is not.

    Mr. Meyer said that the PCE concentrations were saturated at some point, but they are much lower now. Mr. Toussaint asked if the concentrations are off-site; Mr. Meyer responded that they are. Mr. Meyer went on to discuss the line charts, which show the trends of each well. Well 31D had a spike on 2/99, but it has steadily declined. Mr. Poole asked what caused the decline. Mr. Meyer said it was probably the combination of the dilution/natural action. Well 15 was not sampled because there were no rights of entry. Well 17 had a validated sample. The groundwater contours have not changed.

  10. Area B Master Plan.

    Lt. Col. Springer reported on the Master Plan for Area B. A team of representatives of Fort Detrick agencies that use Area B (stakeholders) developed the Master Plan and a vision statement for use of Area B. He described the decision process used by the group to prioritize a variety of current and future uses of the land. The recommended course of action is Option 5 (see attachment). Lt. Col. Springer said that the actions included in the option could proceed once the decision is made to build or not to build a conference center on Area B.

    Dr. Toussaint said that he was very impressed with the approach. He asked about the community input on the Conference Center. Col. Greenwood said that the county commissioners and city government were briefed on the conference center concept last year and supported it. They will be kept informed. Community support is expected.

  11. Communication Plan.

    Mr. Dasey discussed a communication plan to support the planned excavation on Area B. He said that the environmental restoration problem and solution would be presented in a concise format. A pamphlet for distribution will be prepared, as well as questions and answers for the media. There could be a media tour of the excavation site once the structure is placed on Area B. The RAB members will be helpful in these efforts. Mr. Dasey suggested that a forum with the media could be effective.

    Dr. Toussaint said that he liked the approach on the communication plan. Mr. Fairbank added that the RAB should be proactive. Mr. Toomey suggested the data be added to the Fort Detrick website. There was a brief discussion on the role of the RAB members in communicating with the community. Col. Greenwood asked that the RAB members let Fort Detrick know of community groups that could be offered a presentation on the restoration program. Lt. Col. Springer discussed avenues to reach the public with a positive message.

  12. Community Co-Chair.

    Mr. Toomey said that the funding seems to be moving along. He would like to see the slides/handouts prior to the meeting.

  13. Meeting Summary and Adjourn.

    Agenda items for next meeting:

    • Public Input/brainstorming
    • Partnering Update
    • Website
    • Well Data
    • Update on Communications Plan

    Col. Greenwood mentioned that the partnering seems to be going well. The next RAB meeting will be held on Wednesday, April 12 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting was adjourned at 9:40 p.m. After the meeting adjourned, Mr. Toomey spoke with some of the community members of the RAB and then with Lt. Col. Springer, suggesting the next meeting be held in June. Mr. Toomey and Lt. Col. Springer agreed to work together to set date for a meeting in June and notify all the interested parties well in advance.

Reviewed by:
Jeffery C. Springer, P.E.
Lt. Col. U.S. Army
James R. Greenwood
Colonel, U.S. Army
Deputy Installation Commander

Site Helpers


Detrick TBL w/Coin

Customer Evaluation:

ICE Logo