Restoration Advisory Board (RAB)
Meeting Minutes

Minutes of the Fort Detrick
Restoration Advisory Board Meeting
8 December 1999

  1. The meeting was convened at 7:30 p.m., Wednesday, December 8, 1999 in Conference Room Three of the Goodloe E. Byron Building, Building 810, at Fort Detrick.

  2. Attendance:

    Members Present:

    Col. James Greenwood, U.S. Army Garrison, Fort Detrick
    LTC Jeffery Springer, P.E. Chief, Environment and Integrated Planning, Fort Detrick (Installation Co-Chair)
    Ms. Helen Miller-Scott, Community Member
    Mr. Thomas Meyer, Project Manager, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District (USACE) Member
    Mr. Paul Offutt, Frederick County Health Department
    Ms. Linda Robinson, Community Member
    Stewart Taylor, Ph.D, P.E., Community Member
    Mr. Gerald P. Toomey, Community Co-chair
    Mr. Douglas Scarborough, U.S. Army Environmental Center, Member
    Mr. Thomas Wade, Community Member
    Mr. Douglas Warnock, Installation Restoration Manager, Fort Detrick, Member

    Also Present:

    Mr. Dennis Orenshaw, Project Officer, USEPA
    Mr. Fred Boecher, U.S. Army Environmental Center
    Mr. Henry Erbes, USAG
    Ms. Caren Chess, Rutgers University
    Mr. Chuck Dasey, PAO, Fort Detrick
    Mr. John Fairbank, Maryland State Department of the Environment (MDE)
    Ms. Kim Gross, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Baltimore District (USACE)
    Mr. David Iseri, IT Corporation
    Mr. Tim Llewell, Dames & Moore
    Ms. Lisa Martinek, USACHPPM
    Mr. Larry Poole, Dames & Moore

    Members Absent:

    Mr. Larry Bohn, Frederick County Department of Health
    William Effland, Ph.D., Community Member
    Mr. Michael Gresalfi, Community Member
    Craig Toussaint, Ph.D., Community Member
    Charles Billups, Ph.D., Community Member

  3. Index of December 1999 RAB Meeting

    The following is a listing of items addressed at the December 8, 1999 RAB meeting. Corresponding paragraph numbers are indicated in the right column.

    Subject/Topic Paragraph Number
    Opening and Introductions4
    First Partnering Meeting5
    EPA Role in Fort Detrick Restoration6
    COE Update7
    City Water vs. Well Water8
    Water Connection Update9
    Community Co-chair10
    Action Items11
    Agenda for Next Meeting12
    Schedule Next Meeting/ Adjourn13
  4. Opening and Introductions

    Lt. Col. Springer welcomed everyone and introduced representatives from the U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine (USACHPPM) who were observing the meeting. He then asked the group to introduce themselves for the benefit of the observers.

  5. Partnering Meeting Update

    Lt. Col. Springer gave an update on the first partnering meeting. Representatives from Fort Detrick, the State of Maryland, Army Corps of Engineers, the Army Medical Command, USACHPPM, EPA, and the Army Environmental Center were present. He reported that the meeting was a success and that the restoration of Area B will move faster due to the partnering meeting. The next meeting will be held 4-5 January, and subsequent meeting will be held in February and March. The partnering group will include consensus members, who will vote, and adjunct members, who will participate but not vote on every decision. The purpose of the partnering process is to establish consensus--everyone must agree on actions to be taken. It is not a "majority rules" process. Mr. Toomey asked if RAB members could be adjunct members. Lt. Col. Springer responded that the partners make policies and decisions and that is not the role of the RAB. Mr. Toomey disagreed. Mr. Fairbank and Mr. Orenshaw stated that RAB members on other Maryland installations are not included in the partnering process. Mr. Fairbank suggested that after the start-up meetings of the partnering group, which are not part of the public record, a RAB member should be invited to a partnering meeting as a guest. Minutes from the partnering meetings will be provided to the RAB. The partnering group developed the following mission statement:

    "In the spirit of teamwork and cooperation, the team will complete an environmental restoration program in a safe, expeditious and cost-effective manner. To achieve this the team will use its combined resources to make decisions based on good science and engineering, meaningful stakeholder and community involvement, and agency requirements."

  6. EPA Role in Fort Detrick Restoration

    Lt. Col. Springer introduced Mr. Dennis Orenshaw, Project Manager at EPA Region III Superfund section. Mr. Orenshaw said that he had been involved in the initial Fort Detrick RAB meetings, however, because the state was the lead, and because Fort Detrick is not a Superfund or NPL site the EPA did not take an active interest. However, he has kept in touch with the RAB actions. He thought the partnering meeting was very successful. He said he has agreed to serve as a consensus member in the Fort Detrick partnering process.

    Regarding EPA scoring of Fort Detrick for NPL listing, Mr. Orenshaw stated that the EPA "pre-scored" Fort Detrick at the beginning of the restoration process, before the groundwater contamination was known. If it were to be rescored today, he believes it would be added to the NPL. Fort Detrick is in a queue of many other sites to be evaluated, however, it will not be reevaluated at this time. With Maryland MDE's continuing involvement, and if the partnering initiative continues to go well, the EPA does not have a strong rationale to list the site. There are mixed positions about listing. Some federal facilities want to be listed because they think it makes restoration funds available; others want to avoid it because it is perceived as a bad mark against the facility. Fort Detrick now has increased restoration funds, and Mr. Orenshaw believes listing it on the NPL probably would not enhance the restoration process at this time. Mr. Orenshaw may be reached at EPA Region III offices by calling 215-814-3361. Ms. Robinson asked if his inclusion in the partnering process was due to the RAB's questions about NPL listing. Mr. Orenshaw said that he would have been included anyway. Mr. Fairbank and Mr. Orenshaw stated that EPA must be involved in the restoration of Area C because a property transfer is involved, and the EPA certifies the environmental status of federal land transferred to nonfederal control. She asked if he would stay on after Area C disposition, and he said that as a consensus member he would stay involved for the duration of the restoration process.

  7. COE Update

    Mr. Meyer presented the update for field activities. The Area A schedule remains the same. A future worker scenario study will be added to Area A work. The USACHPPM will investigate possible health hazards from worker contact with groundwater during construction or any other activity. The draft RI/FS for Area B is on hold while the Army reviews plans for future use of Area B. For Area B, the quarterly sampling results should be available at the next RAB meeting.

    Area B surface geophysical survey, to identify or confirm buried waste locations, is complete, data analysis is in progress. Groundwater radiation sampling of 6 wells is complete, data analysis underway. Surface soil sampling for Area B-3 completed.

    Planned activities include well survey and sampling, soil vapor extraction tests, analysis of dense non-aqueous phase liquid (DNAPL) in well 57D (contains PCE and TCE), continued well sampling in the area, a groundwater dye trace study, and continued characterization of suspected burial pits based on soil gas anomalies.

    Results of standard purge and low-flow sampling techniques for PCE and TCE were displayed. A cross section (vertical isopleth) map of area B was displayed. Mr. Orenshaw asked how many quarters of sampling data are now available; Mr. Iseri said that there are 5 quarters available. Regarding the Robinson spring sampling results, Mr. Toomey asked how long after excavation did the spike occur; the interval was 7 months. Ms. Miller-Scott asked about sampling the spring at the county hospital. Mr. Iseri stated that although the results were not indicated on the slides displayed, the spring at the hospital is sampled every two months. No PCE is showing up, and TCE is showing up at 1 part per billion. Mr. Offutt stated that the building is no longer a hospital; it is now part of the county health department's emergency operations center.

    The groundwater map showed new contours for November. Groundwater is still low from the drought.

    Area C Wastewater Treatment Plant standard site investigation is complete. Final RI will be conducted. Mr. Orenshaw stated he thought it was a fairly comprehensive sampling plan for that area.

  8. Wells vs. City Water

    In response to a request at the October meeting of the RAB, Lt. Col. Springer reported on water sources for new homes near Area B. The new developments near Area B (Tighlman, Whittier and Walnut Ridge) are on city water. Homes down-gradient of Fort Detrick are on city water. Frederick City requires new homes within the city limits to be on city water. In general, homes outside the city limits use wells, although some homes outside the city limits use community wells, and some homes outside the city limits are hooked up to city water. Lt. Col. Springer said that Fort Detrick will ask the county to notify the post of requests for permits to dig new wells near Area B.

    Mr. Fairbank stated that Maryland law allows agricultural wells, not intended as sources of potable water, to be dug within the city limits, but does not supervise use of the wells to ensure they are not used for drinking water. There is a potential health hazard if people use agricultural wells to drink from or to fill swimming pools.

    Ms. Miller-Scott asked how land purchasers know if there is a risk when there is no disclosure on the water-associated risks. Ms. Robinson asked if there is data to disclose, are the realtors liable if they don't disclose it. Mr. Offutt said both the realtor and the seller are liable for non-disclosure, and they need to contact the health department to determine whether there is a health risk from well water. Lt. Col. Springer said that one of the purposes of the RAB is to keep the community informed on these issues.

    Mr. Toomey stated that the area potentially affected by groundwater from Area B is small, and the impacted homes in the area have been hooked up city water by Fort Detrick. Lt. Col. Springer said that new homes built near Area B that are outside the city limits will have city water. Mr. Toomey recommended continuing dialog with the city on this issue and on the progress of the restoration effort at Fort Detrick. Mr. Fairbank stated there is potential for air release of contaminants when excavation begins. Lt. Col Springer said that he will communicate with the city regarding excavating schedules.

  9. Water Connection Update

    Doug Warnock presented the Water Connection Update. Water connections will be completed in about 5 days. There was a delay in drawing up and filing the easement for hooking up the Grady O'Rear property. The easement was drawn up and connection will be made on Monday 12/13. Four properties with six homes have been hooked up-- the Meadows and Langowski properties on Shookstown Road, the Crum property on Rocky Springs Road (hooked up to Army water) and the O'Rear property.

  10. Community Co-chair

    Mr. Toomey said that the members wanted to hear the EPA scoring scenario. He understands that NPL listing would not impact restoration activities at this point, due to the increased funds that were allocated for Fort Detrick restoration. He asked for a breakdown of the budgets for Areas A, B and C. He encouraged dialog with the City and Planning Board. Area B is a highly populated area.

    Mr. Fairbank stated there could be a perception problem and a cost problem when excavation begins. Ms. Robinson asked if there would be a containment area when they start to dig. Mr. Warnock said that there would be a containment area, a spring steel structure with a fabric cover, like the H.O.T. dome at Fort Detrick. Ms. Robinson asked if there could be a delay in building on the Krantz property until the excavation is complete. Several members commented that that would be unlikely due to the rapid pace of development in Frederick. Mr. Offut said that the health department has not yet received plans for new construction on the Krantz property.

    Mr. Wade would like to revisit the NPL listing issue, since the scoring has not been finalized. He is concerned that restoration of Area C could use up available funds, leaving none for Area B. Mr. Fairbank asked if the EPA was responding to the GAO report on the backlog of sites to be scored for the NPL. Mr. Orenshaw said he would find out. Mr. Scarborough said EPA replied to the GPO saying thank you for bringing this t our attention and we are working on it.

  11. Action Items

    1. Lt. Col. Springer will contact the city and county planning commissions on status of commercial development near southwest corner of Area B.
    2. Mr. Orenshaw will have an EPA response on the GAO report.
  12. Agenda for Next Meeting

    1. Update on next partnering meeting.
    2. Copy of minutes of next partnering meeting
    3. Breakout of budget as it Relates to Areas A, B, and C.
    4. Area B master plan/future use update.
    5. Report on due-outs, update on November well sampling data.
  13. Schedule Next Meeting/ Adjourn

    The next meeting will be held on Wednesday February 16 at 7:30 p.m. The meeting was adjourned at 9:15 p.m.

Reviewed by:
Jeffery C. Springer, P.E.
Lt. Col. U.S. Army
Co-Chairman
Approved
James R. Greenwood
Colonel, U.S. Army
Deputy Installation Commander

Site Helpers

FAQ

Detrick TBL w/Coin

Customer Evaluation:

ICE Logo