Industrial Hygiene & Environmental Health Office
IS A COMPONENT OF THE ARMY'S HEALTH MISSION
Industrial Hygiene is the science and art devoted to the anticipation, recognition, evaluation, and control of those environmental factors and stresses associated with work and work operations that may cause sickness, impaired health and well being, significant discomfort, and inefficiency among workers or among the citizens of the community.
Industrial hygienists work with other disciplines to develop economical and pragmatic solutions to prevent occupational illness, injury, and death.
Fort Detrick personnel are encouraged to become knowledgeable about the hazard potential in their workplace by reviewing DoD, Army, and other Government regulations, requirements, and guidelines.
A brief description of services provided by the Fort Detrick Industrial Hygiene staff and links to information about commonly found workplace hazards in and around Fort Detrick are provided below. Your suggestions for improvements to this page are welcome.
- Conduct IH surveys and special studies to identify existing and potential health hazards.
- Perform hazard evaluation through air sampling, ventilation measurements, or any and all other viable means.
- Review work orders, plans, contracts, and specification for construction, equipment modification, or process changes to ensure occupational health and safety hazards are addressed, with particular emphasis on hazardous materials substitution to prevent potential exposure to Ft. Detrick personnel during future maintenance activities.
- Review Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) for proposed new materials or products for accuracy and completeness, recommending substitution, as warranted.
- Assist in worker training and education programs, as requested.
- Provide employees with written copies of their representative exposures as soon as possible after receipt of sampling data.
- Provide technical consulting services on work practices, engineering controls, and protective clothing and equipment during routine surveys and as requested.