DPW - Solid Waste Management
393 Beasley Drive
Fort Detrick MD 21702
Refuse and Recycle Collection
Here at Fort Detrick, refuse collection is somewhat different than other posts or municipalities. Because we are equipped with an incinerator plant and our own landfill, we must pre-sort our trash to ensure it ends up in the right place. The fact that Fort Detrick is a medical research facility only compounds this problem. The following is a short overview of the different classifications of trash found on post, and how you can help by getting all trash in its proper place:
- All clean dry paper (this includes newspaper, copier, cardboard, and any other paper products) should be deposited in the blue recycle containers, or the outside cardboard bins located throughout post.
- All plastics should be rinsed of solids and emptied of liquids and put in the recycle bins.
- Containers for aluminum cans are located in each building throughout the post.
- Wooden pallets should be delivered directly to the recycling center or saved for collection by recycle personnel.
- Batteries should be returned to the original place obtained. This is easily done. Just turn them in when requesting replacements.
- Any item considered a hazardous material should be collected by the Hazardous Materiel Management Branch 301-619-3441.
Being environmentally conscience in this day and time, means recycling whenever possible.
- Medical Waste - One cubic yard containers for medical waste are located outside each lab and research building. These push carts are exclusively for collection of trash from the lab areas. They are collected daily and incinerated upon receipt at the incinerator plant.
- Pathological Waste - Small carts have been located at the buildings that need them for this purpose.
- Clean Wood - With the exception of pallets, all clean wood is collected and delivered to our wood shredder, where it is processed and prepared for shipment to a mulching facility.
- Burnable Trash - If your trash does not meet the recycling standards identified above, it will be incinerated. We strive to minimize incineration as much as possible by recycling everything we can. Please remember that some recyclable items such as metal and wood can damage the collection vehicles and incinerators if placed in a burnable dumpster.
- Non-Burnable Trash - Concrete, porcelain, dirt, and large furniture items must be handled in a special manner. Please contact the Solid Waste Management Section for instructions on what to do with these types of waste.
- Classified and Sensitive Material - If possible all waste paper should be recycled. If the paper contains information that is sensitive in nature and policy allows, then deliver this material to the Fort Detrick Recycling Center for shredding. If the information is classified and must be destroyed, then the owner should call the incinerator plant for an appointment to deliver such material for destruction.
For more information contact Solid Waste Management.