Directorate of Public Works (DPW)
393 Beasley Drive
Fort Detrick Md. 21702
Services provided by DPW to those who live and work at Fort Detrick include:
- Energy Conservation Program
- Cost Estimating service for perspective construction/repair projects
- Budget Oversight
- Engineering and design services for perspective building projects
- Construction contract negotiators and inspectors
- Custodial services
- Maintenance of Fort Detrick's 373 buildings and 1,153 acres of land
- A Trouble Desk for service orders
- A Self-Help Program for minor repairs
- Steam sterilization plant that acts as a second line of defense in the prevention of biohazard release
- Warm offices in the winter through a central boiler plant and air conditioning for cool offices in the summer
- Safe road network to drive at Fort Detrick
- Electricity for office and home lights
- Snow removal
- Safe water to drink
- Refuse and recycle pick up
- Safe treatment of laboratory and waste disposal
- Building Key Control
When the Directorate of Public Works (DPW) was directed to adopt better business practices in accordance with Vice President Gore's National Performance Review, they took that opportunity to establish a customer service representative that has served as a liaison on the customer's behalf with the many areas of Installation Services. This association has allowed DPW to tailer fit their services to meet the requirements of our customers at Fort Detrick.
One of the most important jobs that the customer service representative has is in providing status, feedback and tracking of a concern, from when it is originally called in to the representative until the concern is addressed to the customer's satisfaction.
The customer service representative also represents DPW at public meetings; such as the town hall meetings, Newcomer's briefings and the Commissary meetings.
A monthly customer forum is being established where the Garrison and tenants at Fort Detrick will be able to meet with DPW to discuss any concerns or questions they may have regarding installation services or present projected future development. It was found more practical in this initiation stage to meet with the activities personally, to discuss any concerns or projected future development, to lead later to a round table discussion.
Customer visits are made to every tenant and Garrison unit to assure the satisfaction level of services received and discuss any further services that may be required.
Literature to familiarize the customer with all of DPW's multifaceted services is produced and distributed by the customer service representative as well as updates on services published in the local newspapers and industry magazines.
If you have any questions or concerns on any aspect of Directorate of Public Works please call our Customer Service Representative at 301-619-2454.